Forums » Producing

Filmmaking Safety Tips During The Summer

• 397 posts
    July 26, 2022 1:12 AM PDT

There are many projects that are being shot every year during the Summer Season. Even though there is a heatwave outside, this does not have to stop you from filming outdoors. Here are a few tips that you can use if you are filming during the summer:

1. Wear a hat

Hats are a great and easy method to keep your head, face, neck and ears safe from the sun. If you choose a baseball cap instead of a hat, make sure to protect the uncovered areas with sunscreen. Depending on the budget, you can either bring custom made hats to the set or encourage everyone to bring their own hats.

2. Use sunscreen

One of the easiest methods to block some of the UV radiation from being absorbed into the skin is by using sunscreen. It is recommended to use a sunscreen with a SPF factor higher than 15 and apply it 30 minutes before going outdoors. The sunscreen should be applied on all areas that are exposed to the Sun, including nose, ears, hands and so on.

3. Bring water bottles

One of the most dangerous things that can happen during this season is dehydration. To prevent this from happening, you should bring many water bottles with you. Don’t forget to bring a cooler bag to keep it cold.

4. Bring Umbrellas

If you are shooting in direct sunlight during a hot summer day, you might consider bringing many umbrellas with you. They can protect the crew and they can also be used to protect the equipment during a short and unexpected summer rain.

5. Film right after sunrise

If you have a very low budget and you also wish to not endanger your crew, you can simply film right after sunrise, when both the weather and the natural lights are in your favor.

This post was edited by Maura Nicolaita at July 26, 2022 1:13 AM PDT
  • July 26, 2022 1:21 AM PDT

Even if you stay indoor, it is horrible to work during the heatwave. Even if you have air conditioner, it is not healthy for your body to use it all the time. Going to the grocery store can be a challenge these days, even after 8 PM. Even in the morning, because most of them open at 10 AM. It is so hot. And then, there are people working in this heat, outdoor. It takes a lot of motivation and determination to go out in this weather and work the entire day there. I always admire those people. I run in search of a shade with the first opportunity I got. 

• 397 posts
    July 26, 2022 1:23 AM PDT

I worked for years outdoors, during heatwaves. It is hard until your body gets used to the heat. Then, it becomes easier. 

• July 26, 2022 1:23 AM PDT
    Maura Nicolaita said:

I worked for years outdoors, during heatwaves. It is hard until your body gets used to the heat. Then, it becomes easier. 

I never stayed long enough to reach this point. 

• 82 posts
    July 28, 2022 12:41 AM PDT

There are many safety precautions that you can take if you plan to shoot your film during this summer and they are related to the country where you are planning to film. In my country, the primary problem during each summer is the monsoon. It is also known as the "rainy season". The best time you can visit my country, Thailand and shoot films is usually from November to March. If you have to film during other times of the year, be prepared to face some unexpected weather hazards. 

• 56 posts
    July 28, 2022 12:58 AM PDT

In Tirana, my hometown, the weather is very hot right now. There are still TV shows that are being filmed outside and I once walked past them as they were doing their jobs. The camera operators had hats on their head but the people that were being filmed wore makeup and had to look perfect. It is very hard to be in front of the camera in such weather. I believe they used water proof makeup, sunscreen and they drank a lot of water. Aside from this, they must have just gotten used t o these working conditions. They were also fully clothed. It's a hard job but somebody has to do it.