Forums » Cinematography

Tips for Shooting Self Tape Auditions at Home

• 397 posts
    December 1, 2022 9:13 AM PST

Today, you can get an acting job without physically going to auditions. But for this to happen, you need to prepare for your audition. Even though it is easier to apply for jobs from the comfort of your home and take auditions online, there are still a few things that you need to pay attention to.

1. Use a ring light

If you are planning on taking auditions online, you need to work on the quality of your image. A ring light can help you achieve better image quality. It can also help you look good.

2. Use a microphone

The sound of your voice is very important during an audition. A good microphone will solve the problem of background static noise and it will make your voice sound smooth. If you don’t have a big budget, you can use a lavalier.

3. Choose the right background

During an audition, you don’t want to show a messy background. Choose an angle which makes your room look good.

There are several advantages of taking an online audition, too. You don’t have to spend hours reaching a specific location and you don’t necessarily need to live in LA or NYC to have a chance of getting a good acting job.

Did you ever take an online audition? How was your experience?

• 56 posts
    December 1, 2022 2:52 PM PST

These are all great tips! I would add the importance to look good during the audition. When you are at home, you don't take care of yourself as you would before going out. Take a clean T-shirt, do your hair and be confident. 

• 40 posts
    December 1, 2022 2:54 PM PST
    Fjolla Teuta said:

These are all great tips! I would add the importance to look good during the audition. When you are at home, you don't take care of yourself as you would before going out. Take a clean T-shirt, do your hair and be confident. 

I guess I am not the only person who only got a fancy top because only the top was visible during Zoom calls, while still wearing my pijama pants. Most of my days were like this during the pandemic

• 24 posts
    December 1, 2022 2:55 PM PST
    Charlotte Davis said:
    Fjolla Teuta said:

I guess I am not the only person who only got a fancy top because only the top was visible during Zoom calls, while still wearing my pijama pants. Most of my days were like this during the pandemic

No, you are not the only one. Most people I know, myself included, did the exact same thing

• 56 posts
    December 1, 2022 2:56 PM PST
    Harry Edwards said:
    Charlotte Davis said:
    Fjolla Teuta said:

No, you are not the only one. Most people I know, myself included, did the exact same thing

This is why I suggested to "look good" during the audition.

• 43 posts
    December 1, 2022 2:57 PM PST

Isn't it harder to give an audition online compared to going there in person? 

• 27 posts
    December 1, 2022 2:59 PM PST
    Marianna Schmidt said:

Isn't it harder to give an audition online compared to going there in person? 

There are some advantages to giving an online audition for an acting job. First, you can give it from Germany, even if the job is in LA or NYC. You can take a plane and go there after you get the job, but if you don't get the job, you don't lose time and money. Second, you don't have to wait in line for your turn. This can be a bit demotivating and tiring. And third, if you don't get the job, it is easier to get to the next audition without having to waste time on transportation. Even the subway takes time.